The Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 is a budget phone disguised as a Flagship.It advertises a Mid-end Snapdragon 660 Soc, 48 MP Camera and Flagship build quality.
Key Features of the Xiaomi Redmi Note 7:
- Build and Body: 159.2 x 75.2 x 8.1 mm and 186 grams, Polycarbonate side frame
- Protection: Gorilla Glass 5 front and back
- Chipset: Qualcomm SDM660 Snapdragon 660 (14nm) Octa Core CPU (4 x 2.2 GHz) Kyro & 4 x 1.8GHz Kyro 260)
- GPU: Adreno 512
- OS: Android 9.0 Pie; MIUI 10
- Display: 6.3 inch IPS LCD, 2340 x 1080p resolution, 409ppi
- Memory and Storage: 4 GB RAM, 64 GB built in Storage, supports MicroSD (2nd sim Slot)
- Rear Camera: 48 MPf/1.8 Aperture, 1/2″, 0.8µm, 5 MP Field of Depth Camera, Dual LED Flash and Supports 1080 @ 120/6030fps video recording and EIS (Electronic Image Stabilization)
- Front Camera: 13 MP, 1080p @ 30fps video recording
- Connectivity: Dual SIM, LTE Cat.12 Download/Cat 13 Upload, Dual Band WiFi a/b/g/n/ac, Dual Band MIMO, 2×2 antennas, GPS, Bluetooth 5.0, USB Type C 2.0
- Security: Rear mounted Fingerprint Reader and Scanner
- Battery: 4,000mAh with Quick Charge 4.0 support, 18W (9V/2A Charger)
- Other Features: FM Radio built in
The design of the Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 isn’t new, it’s certainly have a 2018 vibe on it. No notch-less design as of yet. However, this would be easily overlooked by the amazing build quality this phone offers. It also comes with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection both on the front and back.
The 3.5mm Audio jack is still here. The phone also comes with a noise cancelling microphone and IR Blaster. USB Type C connector is located at the bottom along with the downward facing speakers. In addition, the speakers of this phone is quite impressive.
The Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 is a huge phone, measuring at a whopping 6.3 inches. The resolution is a 2340 x 1080p, so technically still a FHD screen but comes at a 19.5:9 aspect ratio. The overall brightness of the screen maxes at 471 nits with good image quality
If battery life is your thing, then the Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 will not disappoint, easily lasting more than 12 hours of heavy use. Unfortunately, Xiaomi doesn’t include a Quick Charger 4.0 out of the box, but only a standard 10W 5V/2A brick. So if you want get the most out of the quick charging feature, you have to buy it separately
Android 9 Pie or the customized MIUI 10 has gone major changes. It is clean with much faster and better overall performance. Bloatware will depend on whether the version is a global version or not. So please be aware of that minor detail.
The Snadragon 660 isn’t a brand new SOC, in fact, it’s found on the Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite and the Xiaomi Mi Note 3. But this is a pretty solid chipset. Fast, efficient and still capable of mobile gaming. It is faster than the Snapdragon 636 of the Xiaomi Mi Max 3, which is priced close to the the Redmi Note 7.
Even with triple and quad cameras flooding the market. The Redmi Note 7 still sticks to the trusty Dual Rear Camera design. It advertises 48 MP which is real. The sensor uses a Bayer arrangement to get those pixels in. So, what’s the advantage? Well, photos are sharper even with higher ISO. But it can only be enabled on PRO mode, so it takes a bit of tinkering to get use to. So, 12 MP is still good enough for those fast moments you don’t wanna miss.
It’s easy to conclude that the Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 is an impressive Smartphone. It has all the features you want on a budget phone with only minor compromises.
Why buy this phone?
- Great performance for the price
- Long battery life
- Dual SIM
Reasons not to buy?
- 6.3 inches is big
- It comes with Miui, so not a lot of people will like it
- Most versions come with an English and Simplified Chinese version only
- It does not come with a Quick Charger 4.0 out of the box, purchase is optional.